Saturday, July 18, 2015

Sweet, Sweet Sleep

Olivia had only an ok night. She kept herself awake ALL day yesterday so she was beyond tired. Then we took it another step further by giving her three doses of ketamine for her chest tube placement. She was delirious and exhausted and was sleeping fitfully when I left. So not the greatest sleep ever but, the chest tube was placed successfully and is draining well. Within the first couple hours it drained 140 cc's (which is a lot) Overnight it drained another 60 or so. I am definitely glad we were proactive and didn't just try treating with diuretics. As it is, she's super dried out from the diuretics she was on. Her eyes are kinda sunken and she just doesn't look the greatest right now. Also, when they were placing the tube some air got inside her chest, but conveniently the treatment of that is a chest tube. The nurses have been great at showing me Livie's xrays and explaining all the little details so I'm getting pretty good at reading her xrays. I now know the dark parts are where there is air. The light is where there is fluid (or bone obviously.) So when they showed me her xray from this morning it was easy to see the huge improvements from yesterdays and last nights.
We're starting the uphill climb once more.
Olivia isn't eating again (I'm assuming the chest tube is just uncomfortable enough) but I know she's feeling better. Yesterday morning she was great but as the day wore on she got more and more quiet and subdued, which I think were her only obvious symptoms of the effusion. Her sats weren't great either but were manageable. But she is already feeling better. She's talking as much as is comfortable with a chest tube in but the biggest and best indicator of her feeling better is she's sleeping. Deeply. She looks comfortable and was super mad when we woke her to give her her "lucky" aka yucky medicine (lasix, which really is nasty.)
So, for this morning's big happy update, with the fluid drained, miss Olivia is satting at 94 on .75 liters of O2! This is amazing! Dr. E said not to expect really high sats because he usually does a larger fenestration in the fontan so more oxygen poor blood can get into the heart preventing numbers in the high 90's. Basically he just wants her above 85. Either way, she's looking good right now and I am happy to see her numbers improving.

0 comments: