Friday, August 10, 2012

Bad Blood!

In the literal sense.  Olivia finally pooped and there was blood in her stool.  So, it may be NEC after all.  Not a happy baby girl.  Not a happy mama.
I got woken up about a half hour ago with the bad news and they took her down for her KUB (an xray) and now we wait for results.  If it is NEC the plan would be to stop feeds for a week and start a round of antibiotics.  After that week was up we'd slowly start her feeds again.  If I remember correctly they increase the feeds 2 ml every couple hours?  I can't remember exactly since they told me about all this two months ago.  By the way, I'm pretty uber ticked because I thought we were golden since she'd been handling her feeds so well for so long.  Anyway, that's the plan and we'll be here for a while.
This morning has just been nasty all around.  Livie's IV went bad too so they're going to have to do a new one.  She is going to be a big ol' grump today.  But getting and IV placed always wears her out so maybe she'll sleep all day.
So, prayers please.  Like I mentioned before, if the NEC gets bad enough then she'd have to have surgery to remove some intestine and we obviously don't want that.

0 comments: