Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Ye Have Done It Unto Me

Here's a quick update on Liv's first appointment with the feeding therapist.  Basically, Liv is awesome.  Her oral skills are perfect.  We even worked on some baby food and she said that Liv's skills with a spoon are better than a lot of normal babies who are first trying their pureed foods.  So yeah!  At this point, she's sending us to PCMC for another swallow.  She was a little frustrated that they sent me to her without having another post-glenn one.  If it is a matter of fatigue and the glenn fixed it we don't know because they skipped that.  So, soon we'll be heading down for a swallow.


And now, a few thoughts.
A few months ago during one of our hospital stays my mother took me to lunch.  As we got out of the car a man came up to us and asked for some spare change.  Without hesitating, my mother emptied her change purse into his hand.  After they offered their thanks and left my mom said something to the affect of, "I always give what I can.  Even if they turn around and use it on drugs.  It's not my place to judge them."
I was ashamed of myself.  Not because I didn't give with my mom on that particular day (I only had my debit card) but because of all the other times I had the chance and didn't.  
My mom has always been a humanitarian.  Growing up her closet was often FILLED with hotel shampoo's and conditioners to send to third world countries.  My mom flew out around my twelfth (I think?) birthday to Malaysia to "pick up" my grandparents from their mission.  She spent most of her time in the orphanages.  
She has always given everything.  I have had the privilege of being taught by her and have tried to do my small part.  I haven't done anything on her scale by any means.  
Today, as I drove home from Walmart I saw a man with his cardboard sign.  I was planning on looking the other way like I usually do but felt that little tugging that made me look.  His sign read "Disabled vet.  Passing through.  Cold and hungry.  Thank you and God Bless."  He saw me reading his sign and waved.  I waved back and drove past.  As I drove towards home that nagging was still there.  I kept going through excuses in my head.  Liv was in the car.  I needed to get her home.  I didn't have any food (unless he liked baby food) with me.  I didn't have any cash.  But I knew I needed to do something.  I made it two lights, almost home before circling around and heading to the bank.  I withdrew some money and headed back.  
I know he recognized me.  I drive a purple pt cruiser.  There aren't many of those around.  As I got out of the car he started limping towards me.  I handed him the money and he accepted it graciously.  I could see his surprise.  
I don't know how long he'd been standing on that corner but I'd be willing to bet that I was the first person to stop.  As I got back in my car and drove away he waved, touched his hand to his heart, and bowed his head.  
I cried as I drove home.  Sad for this man, but more sad for all those driving past.  I believe this man was telling the truth about his being a vet.  This man served out country, however flawed it may be, and no one even paused.  
I've been on the receiving end of service many times, especially this year.  But, so often, we serve those we know and not those we don't.  I'm guilty of this.  It's easier to serve those you know.  It's so much easier to give to family and friends.  But I know from personal experience that having a stranger go out of their way to help is particularly special to those on the receiving end.
When I was 17, my mother and I had gone to see my aunt about making a prom dress for me.  On our way home a tired blew and we pulled over to try and change to the spare.  Unfortunately for mama and me, we're wimpy little girls and those lug nuts would not budge.  So there we were, stranded on the freeway.  After a while of sitting, two rough looking motorcyclists pulled up.  They immediately got to work changing the tire for us all the while talking about how disgusted they were that no one would take the time to stop and help.  Just like I was today. (I'm not trying to be mean.  I know some people couldn't stop or couldn't afford to help.)
I know during the holidays people are much more willing to give which also makes me sad.  The holidays shouldn't be the only time we stop to serve.  Today, I stopped.  Maybe you could say I was falling into that "only giving during the holidays" but I'd like to think that even if this man's sign said "hot and hungry" I would've turned back.  
We all know the scripture.  At least I think most of my readers do.  Matthew 25:40 "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."
I was given the opportunity to serve today.  And I've been a blubbering mess since.  I know I did the right thing by turning around.  After an extremely hard year, the Lord provided me with what I needed most.  A way to pay it forward which I see as a concrete way to say thank you to my Savior.  
I hope I can remember the lessons my mother and those bikers taught me.  I hope I can teach my girls the same thing.  Olivia slept through today's lesson, little stinker, but I pray that I will be provided with many more opportunities.

2 comments:

Dawn Wright said...

So proud of you to serve your fellow men. That's what life is all about. Even giving a simple smile when you have nothing else works. I love you sweet baby girl.

Hilary and Eric said...

I love that. For a while I bought those slim jim/cheese packs at the dollar store and kept them in my glove box for those cardboard sign people. But now you've inspired me to get more. I like giving food because I can't stand the thought of my money going towards drugs, not saying they all do, but I would rather give food :) Your mom sounds awesome.