Sunday, May 6, 2012

My Big Girl

Ella amazes me everyday.  I really can't believe how smart she is and how much she talks.  I've had to start jotting down some notes on the funny stuff she does because there's something new everyday.  Some of it makes me proud, some makes me laugh, and some gets a little frustrating but then she does her little "I'm cute" head cock and smile and I can't help but forget the frustration.
We'll start with a smart/amazing memory story.  So far this spring we've roasted hot dogs about three times.  Two of the three times, Ella was the one to ask for roasting hot dogs.  What gave her the idea?  Apparently it only takes one time to get that smoke smell in your system.  Now every time we are playing outside and Ella smells BBQ-ing or that smokey smell, she asks for hot dogs.  She doesn't particularly love hot dogs but she remembers that with hot dogs come marshmallows, grahams, and chocolate.  I can't believe that it only took once for this smell to get in her system.  Andrew and I are of course thrilled because we should get to roast LOTS this summer. 
And here's another amazing memory story.  I really wish I had this girls memory.  About a month ago I had gotten Ella's old stuff out to go through.  This included her baby bracelets.  She of course found them and played with them until I caught her.  3 of the five bracelets were missing by the time I got to her.  I figured it was because her room was trashed so I decided to look later.  I cleaned her room, nothing.  Took a couple days break and looked again, nothing.  This went on for quite a while then last week I decided to look in her play purses.  She does love packing them with all sorts of goodies.  Again, nothing.  I finally decided I'd try asking her.  It had been about a month so I wasn't expecting her to remember.  But, I asked and she told me they were in the hole in the wall.  I was thinking she'd slipped them into the radiator (which no longer works due to central air) but when I was looking there she said "No mommy, the other wall."  So she joins me and shows me one of those outlets for tv cables.  There weren't any cables in the little hole so she had slipped the bracelets in there.  I got two of them back.  The other one slipped further into the wall so it's gone for good.  I was quite shocked that after a month she'd remember where she had put them.  I can't remember where I put my phone five minutes ago. 
We must be doing something right.  I haven't been wearing my wedding ring due to pregancy swelling and the spring heat.  One day it was actually cold enough outside that my knuckles weren't so bad so I decided to go ahead and wear the ring.  When I went to go get Ella up from her nap she noticed I was wearing it and says "Your ring mommy.  I have one someday.  When I get married in the temple."  I was so proud!  She then went on to talk to me for about five minutes about how she was going to the temple when she was big and wanted mommy and daddy to go with her.  If that's not enough to keep us on the straight and narrow, nothing is. 
Along with Ella's age comes all sorts of funny moments and sayings.  Most of which she has learned from us of course.  Her grandpa taught her to yell "Ah guts!" when she's upset, for pretends.  Occasionally when I get her up in the morning, if I don't say it first she'll say "Good morning chica!" Then, the other day my big ol' mama hips got in the way and kinda knocked her.  Once she got her balance she says "Mommy, be careful wif me!"  Can you tell we've been telling her to be careful with mommy since mommy's belly has gotten quite large?  She loves showing off and making people laugh.  She will do her "rock on" signal with tounge out quote often just because she always gets a good reaction from everyone.  She is getting better and better at playing pretend.  Lately, she goes to work like daddy or the Dr. like mommy.  She'll take my purse with her and there are always pretend treats in there that she feeds us.  She's a ton of fun and teaches me so much everyday.  I'm one lucky mama.

1 comments:

Katrina said...

cute girl. love hearing the stories of how funny kids are. she'll be so great with her little sister too.