The past few months have been somewhat difficult for Andrew and I. First the unexpected pregnancy and trying to get things financially taken care of for that created a certain amount of stress. As soon as that was taken care there was drama and confusion dealing with the apartment we'll be moving into. After that we had midterms followed by papers followed by more school work. Then our first Dr.'s appointment was cancelled which my little hormonal self struggled with a great deal. Throughout all of this Andrew wasn't getting work and I was only getting about 13 hours a week and had been informed that my promotion wasn't going to be coming through after all. Our life was looking pretty bleak to me and it seemed like it was one thing after another (though I'll be the first to admit the pregnancy hormones were making it all seem even more dramatic.) Life just didn't seem to be going our way. Then things slowly started to turn. Two people unexpectedly left Hollywood Video giving me about two-three more shifts a week. The woman who scheduled carpeting jobs (or more accurately, scheduled the jobs for her favorite installer) quit leaving someone to schedule Andrew and Jake for plenty of jobs. The apartment situation got all figured out, medicaid and WIC came through, and now school is drawing to a close and it's looking like I'll still be able to graduate in December even with Baby coming in October. Life has been looking up lately for us and then it got even better. My dad (who had been laid-off a couple weeks ago) found a new job, and to top it all off I have a story that I'm still in shock over.
*Ahem*
Last night was a typical Saturday night for us. We ate dinner and then Andrew sent me off to work. Work was looking like it was going to be pretty typical as well (though maybe not as many ornery customers.) As the night continued it seemed to get better and better. The customers were getting nicer and many were more willing to sign up for our promotions and buy treats and such (and if I'm the seller of these things I get free movies and more hours and that promotion could possibly be back on the table.) Around 10 o'clock we got another rush of customers, again, they were all very pleasant (there must be something in the air) and I ended up helping two girls about my age or a little younger. They were extremely nice and were asking about my schooling, marriage etc. When the transaction was done they had a little fight over who would pay. In the end I took the money from the girl on the account we were using. The other girl mentioned how I couldn't be paid off and I jokingly said something about I could for $50. The conversation progressed to how I was expecting and they got all sorts of excited. We talked a little more and then they left and that was that. About 15 minutes later the one girl who hadn't paid came back and bought some treats. I was helping another customer at the time so my manager helped her. This stranger handed my manager what looked like some Chevron gift cards. We weren't able to actually look at them for another 15-20 minutes due to the rush. Finally we were able to look at them and inside mine was a note that said "Good luck with the baby and school. It isn't much, but you are cared about." Accompanying this note was some folded up dollar bills which ended up totalling $50. My managers contained the same (though her note was a little different.) This girl had just given two complete strangers $100 of her own money. Needless to say, I was quite shocked and still am. I'm so used to the customers who, if they are wealthy, throw their money in our faces and think they should be catered to. Not once have any of them offered us tips and many of them have never even offered a kind word.
This event made my day, my week, and possibly my year. I don't know who the girl was and probably never will but just knowing that there are actually people out there who are willing to give (especially that much, $50/$100 is a lot of money for us) is very reassuring to me. I only hope that I can do the same for someone else. I don't know if she was inspired to do what she did but it certainly has been a testimoney builder for me of how the Lord cares for us and is looking out for us. Even if he has to use a stranger to let us know it He's there.
Sunday, April 26, 2009
What's on my mind today?
Posted by Sarah Turley at 5:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
wow! that story honestly teared me up! (maybe i'm hormonal!) what a blessing! its so wonderful to know that there are people out there trying to make others' lives a little bit better. makes me think of the story where steve got his speeding ticket taken back- no it wasnt $50, but it saved us about $100. three cheers to good people!
It's stories like that make want to pay it forward. Thanks for sharing that with us all. I'm glad things are working out for the both of you.
Ahhh!!! Baby! Congrats I saw your blog through Trina's. That's so exciting! :)
I am catching up on blog reading. I love this story! It makes you realize that the Lord is really watching out for you and that there are angels around us.
Post a Comment