So, we're gunna start with the not great and move to the great. Ready? Ok.
Liv is struggling. I don't know if it's depression, anxiety, PTSD, what. All I know is that she breaks down constantly, lashes out violently at times, and struggles most days to be happy. I don't just mean she's an ornery kid, I mean she is unhappy. It's hard to explain, but I look at her and the happy girl she was is gone. She has episodes where she just all the sudden shuts down. Not a break down, but shuts down. It's weird and heart breaking. She can find the worst aspect of any day too. This was getting so bad ("I went to this birthday party and had fun, but I missed Ella's birthday party." cue tears) that we actually started a family ritual in hopes that we could train all our brains to find the good. So, before bed we all take turns telling each other our five favorite things that happened in our day. I don't know if it's helping her, but it's helping me so we'll count it. With her history and the high likelihood that there is something a little more serious going on, we've scheduled an appointment with a specialist. I'll be meeting with someone on Monday to discuss her and then we'll find a therapist that fits. Fingers crossed we can start getting our sweet happy girl back.
Now, the good stuff! Despite her emotional turmoil, Liv is doing great in school. A lot of heart kids have some learning difficulties, but so far Liv hasn't shown any signs. She is picking up on reading quickly (even quicker than Ella) and is doing well in math so far. Her teacher described her as bright which is always comforting. I've talked a lot with her teacher about my concerns (both emotionally, and mentally) and so far school seems to be a place where Liv can leave her heart stuff behind. So far, the only time she's struggled is on her field trip earlier this week. Luckily, I was there so that helped (or made things worse...I never know) but Liv was struggling with the crowds. She was glued to my side the whole time. Anyway, school is great. She loves her teacher, she loves learning, her only complaint (because she's the kid who can always find something to be upset about) is that she's away from me.
Tumbling! She loves it. She is good at it. I love watching her. Her only complaint (seriously...) is that she can't do all the same tricks Ella can. In general that is her biggest complaint. Ella can do more.
Liv is struggling, yes, but we're hopeful. She is smart and sweet and just needs a little help processing emotion. We'll get there.
And her make-a-wish trip! It was absolutely amazing! I'm not going to go on and on, but I think it helped a bit. Even if only a bit. But whether it actually did or not, it was an incredible experience and I only bawled through the fireworks. I totally kept it together during most of her character experiences. Go me!

0 comments:
Post a Comment